The worm screw shaft's bearing supports are made of plywood. It was rather difficult to adjust to match the screw shaft to wheel and there might be a little vibration which may cause cap changings in the future. It would be better to make steel support for the screw shaft atleast. Between the stepper (Vexta 4,0V/1,1A) and the planet gear I placed a piece of plastic hose. Between the flange of the stepper and the plywood support is a 2 mm rubber plate to isolate vibrations. There is also the same rubber material under the worm screw support. I didn't have any plastic connection screws for the stepper but haven't yet noticed any need of them. Lately during re-construction of the whole telescope I also added flywheels on the stepper's shafts to get faster slewing speeds. That seems to work pretty well. Earlier the fastest slewing speeds were round 1...1,5 degrees/sec while now with flywheels they are app. 2 degrees/sec.In Alt-shaft may occur slipage and so happend during testing. There are tracks on the aluminium remembering that. So, if I should some day make more changings the first one would be making a threaded rod drive for the alt-shaft. Either by using nylon/steel rods as shown in many web-pages. I have thought that it might be possible to bend a steel M6 threaded rod around a plywood sector. At first the plywood would be covered by aluminium strip, then steel rod would be fixed at the first end, then bending and finally another end of the rod would be fixed. So, then there would be steel/steel rod drive. Would there be too much wearing of those rods? I do not think so. Well, have to try it some day...The worm wheel shaft was made at a workshop. I happend to find a couple of old "Stauff" pipe connectors in which standard ball bearings fitted just perpectly. Inside the connector is two bearings. I was little bit afraid of plastic connectors stability but haven't got any problems in visual use. In az-shaft case there is 10-teeth wheel connected on the shaft by two securing screws. That was at first a real problem! After a few minutes stepper driving the wheel was loose. I ended up to use "quick glue" and so far it has worked. Luckyly. So, it would be better to use atleast 15-teeth wheel because it is suitably bigger and allow to use M4 securing screws.
The telescope tube part was little bit hard to make. First I made a frame by cutting two 15 mm plywood circles which I attached together via 3 pcs. plywood square bars. The round part is 4 mm thick plywood fixed with glue and screws over the frame. The rounding process took place by weting the outside surface of the plywood, rounding it around the steel tube and securing by a few piece of rope. After a night the plywood was dried and formed roundy form. The rest was quite easy to do execpt the desicion of the rounding start point. Well, afterwards thought the tube is not the best one. The frame bended a little bit clockwise and the cover plywood too. The result is that if you look the tube from one side it looks perfect but from another it is for sure enclined a little bit. Eyes won't lie!